Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Over The Dam

A few weeks ago I decided to play with water pictures at Whitewater State Park. There's this dam that makes the swimming area at the beach with a neat set of rocks and a stone bridge. I took a bunch of different pictures to see what I could come up with.

This first one is purposely under-exposed (no, really. I did it on purpose.) 
I wanted to see the deep colors with the white water and how they would interplay. 
I had to do some post-processing to brighten the non-water areas, but it is quite a bridge and sight.
WaterDam1



WaterDam3This one I set the exposure much more slowly to get that interesting effect of moving water looking like a curtain of water coming over the rocks.


WaterDam2









Moving in a little closer got the effect just about right.

"To trace the history of a river or a raindrop…is also to trace the history of the soul, the history of the mind descending and arising in the body. In both, we constantly seek and stumble upon divinity, which like feeding the lake, and the spring becoming a waterfall, feeds, spills, falls, and feeds itself all over again."
--Gretel Ehrlich - from Islands, The Universe, Home, 1991

WaterDam4
Going up on the bridge I looked down and set the shutter speed higher to get the water in stop-motion.


WaterDam5These two pictures are of the same spot but with the different shutter speeds. The amazing differences one can pick out from just a few shots and camera tricks makes it a never-ending journey into the wonders around us.



WaterDam6

No comments: