Saturday, January 22, 2011

In the News....

The headline was another one of those eye-catchers:

Bob Marley's family wins case over use of musician's image
One article I saw said that they wanted to keep his image from being a bobblehead doll.

Really? Bob Marley on a Bobblehead? So I Googled it and was I surprised what I found. On Amazon......

Marley is not alone in that category.



How about The Lizard King- Jim Morrison?




And Purple Haze Jimi Hendrix?




I have to admit that this particular aspect of "pop culture" took me back.  Especially the "Buffalo Soldier" aspect of the Marley bobblehead. That song is about exploitation of African-Americans and racism. Wikipedia says "the title and lyrics refer to the black U.S. cavalry regiments, known as "Buffalo Soldiers", that fought in the Indian Wars after 1866. Marley likened their fight to a fight for survival, and recasts it as a symbol of black resistance."



By the way, these bobbleheads are not for young children. Amazon posts:

WARNING:
CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Yes, and who knows, they might turn into radicals or revolutionaries or worse.

Las Vegas Review-Journal.

No comments: