Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Familiar Place Never Seen Like This

I did my first winter adventure on Sunday afternoon. I went snowshoeing at Whitewater State Park by Elba, MN. I have shared many spring through fall pictures from there. It is a remarkably scenic and wondrous place. Earlier this fall I thought that I am missing a portion of the year at the park. Winter.

Now, I am not a winter person. I don't like being cold. Many years ago now I tried downhill skiing but it took too much skill. I have done some cross-country skiing- but very little. When I was young I went ice-skating at the Brick Pond, but never liked it. I have never lived where it is warm in the winter- I just stay inside.

But as my bicycling and hiking season came to a close I realized that one of my problems is that I don't get enough outside time in the winter. Skiing is out. Running? Nah- I can't take pictures when I run. So why not try snowshoes. Fortunately Whitewater Park rents them. So Sunday I tried them out. I went to the place I know best at the park- the river crossing behind the park office.

Winter3 at Whitewater State Park near Elba, MN



Winter2 at Whitewater State Park near Elba, MN


Winter4 at Whitewater State Park near Elba, MN



birds at Whitewater State Park near Elba, MN


Winter5 at Whitewater State Park near Elba, MN

Sunday night I ordered my own pair of snowshoes. I don't think our almost 40" of snow is going to disappear very soon.

No comments: