Monday, November 01, 2010

A Prayer for All Saints

The road home, O God, seems long
                and at times is difficult and painful.
Grant me a holy communion, companionship with others,
                as I journey homeward to you.

I live in times of great trial:
                an age of change sits at my door.
Without a community with others
                I can so easily lose the way,
                can be led astray by illusions of holiness,
                misguided by my ego's desires.

Open my eyes to your precious gift
                of the Church's Communion of Saints.
"Saint" is a name I would never call myself,
                but the treasury of my faith
                teaches me about my holy birthright,
                that I am part of the web of sacred communion,
                uniting me with all other home-bound pilgrims
                and with all who now rejoice
                at their homecoming in you.

May I feed this day upon the food
                of this mystic, holy communion
                with those friends and fellow pilgrims
                with whom I share this planet earth,
                as well as those saints now fully one with you.

May this awareness of my companion journey
                with all the saints
                deepen my life of prayer
                and fertilize my faith in you, my Beloved.
By this communion of holy ones
                may I be daily challenged
                to greater compassion and charity
                as I walk the way of the Pilgrim.
-Edward Hays, Prayers for a Planetary Pilgrim. 1989,  p. 183.

No comments: