Monday, October 25, 2010

Are We There Yet?

Election Day cannot come too soon. It is now one week from tomorrow. I don't know if I can make it. I am getting sick and tired of the rhetoric.

  • Name calling.
  • Secret money.
  • Tea Party.
  • Anger.
  • Fear mongering.
And that's the good news.

Now I am not one to believe that things were better in the "good, old days" which are usually simply just "days". I know that one of the nastiest elections took place over 200 years ago between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. I know that one of the most significantly difficult and divisive was in 1860 when the Union split. American name-calling in political wrangling are as American as that old apple pie.

But that doesn't mean it's a good thing. On top of it, the 24/7/365 news cycle and the anarchy of the Internet only add to the opportunity. We head into our own political corner, surround ourselves with people who think like us, then call names and point fingers in all other directions.

We also become very "situational" in our opinions. I was watching football on Sunday and  the local political commercials were non-stop. What I found interesting was that one commercial for a GOP candidate praised the fact that the candidate wasn't a career politico. Meanwhile, two commercials earlier the GOP candidate IS a career politico. In other words, what is "good" is what "our" candidate is; what is "bad" is what "their" candidate is.

And no one is able to truly speak all the truth- just the truth that I am willing to accept.

So it goes. We will see what happens. Both sides will claim some victory in some way or another. Only time- and probably history- will be able to sort it out.

No comments: