Friday, October 29, 2010

Amazing and Continuing

October 29, 1988 I began an amazing journey that is still continuing. It is my "sober date." On that day I came to realize that my life was on a downward trend that had nowhere good to go.

Within a week I was in treatment and heading the other direction. Today I celebrate in humble awareness of where I have been allowed to come in these 22 years.

Somewhere around the third week in treatment one of the other patients sang at the morning worship service. I had forgotten the song, although I had known it 15 years earlier. It ran through me like a word of hope and a direction home. It was "Why Me, Lord?" by one of my favorite artists, Kris Kristofferson. It is no less powerful- and important to me today. Here is a video of Kris and the Highwaymen singing it in 1990. Join me in celebrating through its hope.


No comments: